In the Summer time, Storyville boasts a gorgeous outdoors terrace in the heart of the city, which is the place to hang out for inspired food and live music. From June to end of august, this is the place to be!
Read about our encounter with Bernie & how he taught us to conjure the most magical voodoo chicken recipe! Perfect for this grilling season and anyone with a sense of adventure, as those recipes are NOT for the faint of heart…
Bernie’s Cornbread & Mango Salsa recipe
For the Cornbread:
- 2,5 dl Cornflour (polenta)
- 1 dl regular flour
- 1 dl buttermilk
- 3 Eggs
- 50 g Butter
- 2/3 dl sugar
- 1 ts Baking soda
- 1/2 ts Baking powder
- 1/2 dl vegetable oil
- 1/2 can sweet corn pured
- Spices: 1/ ts Nutmegg, Cinamon
- Oven preheated is at 180 C
- Mix the oil and the corn and liquidize with a handblender to a grainy consistency
- Mix Sugar, egg and butter in a mixer until combined
- Add the creamed corn
- Add the flours, baking powder, soda, spices and continuously mix, checking for the texture until nice and fkuffy
- Line a small oven dish with parchment papers & pour the mixture
- Place in the over for 20 minutes or until golden on top
- Cool and slice
For the Mango Salsa.
Now this is where it get’s dangerous! use the ingredients liberally and to your taste, and adjust as needed. assemble and chop all the ingredients and serve fresh
- 1 Mango
- 2 Red onions
- 1 Red paprika
- 1 Yellow paprika
- 1 Cucumber with the center removed
- 1 Habanero chilli (or 1 teaspoon or more based on your preference)
- a generous splash of Red wine vinegar
- a handful of Fresh coriander
- 1/2 – 1 Lime juice
- Salt & pepper and oil to season
He opens jars, pots, and containers – makes us taste and comments while pulling plates and making us try proudly annoucing their content and giving us a taste!
I cant resist any longer; the tantalizing smell of nutmeg is just too overpowering. I cut a large slice of the cornbread and bite into the fluffy, steaming perfection.
It all hits home! The crumbly and warm absence of resistance, the crunch and sweetness of the corn, the spicy embrace of the nutmeg and cinnamon together combined into a one of the most comforting and satisfying experience.
We sit on the terrace, sipping on ice cold drinks, lingering in the lazy, perfect and oh so rare Helsinki afternoon sun. The city buzzing all around us, the musicians tuning their instruments, and nowhere else to be than now. And it all makes sense; the heat of the sun and the spices, the soft and gentle embrace of the cornbread and the crisp, fresh tang of mango… happy people make happy food!
WATCH THE VIDEO OF IT ON OUR IGTV AT: https://instagram.com/tv/Bl5pm3_nXlj/