How does this time of the year always get so busy? It does not matter how much Ofer & I both enjoy writing and shooting for the blog, it seems that we can’t always seem to sync our crazy schedules and get as many posts out as we would like to!
It gets busy for everybody and it’s ok, because once dinner time hits, the day’s madness unravels and inspiration is bound to take over. Suddenly, as you tear into the fresh basil leaves, the intoxicating smells gently envelops you with its peppery and comforting fragrance. The simple, mechanical movements, such as peeling the flaky skin off of a red onion, or pulling creamy morcels of mozzarella onto your dinner plate become almost hypnotic, and the soothing calmness of the dusk takes over, pushing away the strains of the day with anticipation of the delights to come.
Simple summer Pesto & Mozzarella salad
For the Pesto:
- 1 -2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bouquets of fresh basil
- 100 gr of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 gr pine nuts (roasted or not)
- a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/4-1/2 of fresh lemon juice
- Put the basil and garlic in food processor
- Add the pine nuts and chop.
- Add the cheese, salt & pepper.
- Add oil and lemon and do it until you reach the right texture
For the Salad:
- 2 tomatoes,
- 1 small red onion
- 1 Large ball of Mozzarela di Bufalla
- Rip on the mozzarella on a plate.
- Spread pesto on top
- Finely dice 2 tomatoes fine place all around around.
- peel and slice the red onion and spread on top,
- Generously drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, season with crushed black pepper and coarse salt
- Drizzle with fig vinegar or any other aged balsamic vinegar
Tip: If you made too much pesto, you can freeze it in a ice cube tray and use later for up to 3 months
The purists will yell at us for using a food processor over the good old mortar, we say, let them yell! The whole point of this dish is to get it ready fast and to enjoy right away. That’s why we urge you to try it right now! It’s not only indecently simple, it’s also impressive enough to serve at a dinner party, so don’t hesitate to give it a go, and if you do, remember to let us know by sending us some love on Facebook, or Instagram #HUNGRYINHELSINKI
Enjoy! Galith & Ofer