Italy is, to most food lovers, one of the most beloved culinary destination. Behind this world renown cuisine is the philosophy of simplicity & the absolute trust in letting the great local ingredients shine. To me simplicity in many things, including food is essential.
Last year I had the opportunity to photograph the beautiful Ella Kanninen in Tuscany Story & recipe Book. This gave me plenty of time to explore the Italian food culture more deeply.
One of the main things that I admire, and have since adopted as a regular treat from Italy, is the delightful fragrance of olive oil. The green & bittersweet gold, soaked up on a yeasty slice of bread and adorned with a sprinkle of sea-salt was a simple yet exciting discovery. How had it never occurred to me that one could substitute the usual spread of butter or margarine on their toast with a generous drizzle of rich extra virgin olive oil?
Lovely Olive Oil Bruschetta
This quick recipe is a perfect 5 minute treat that can be served as a starter or enjoyed during the day as a quick snack. It allows the olive oil to shine & is exciting
- Fresh bread, type Bruschetta or Ciabatta
- High quality extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh rosemary leaves
- Fresh tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic cut in half.
- Cut thick slices of the bread and toast until crispy (preferably on an open fire or under the hot oven grill)
- Rub a clove of garlic on the warm bread and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and basil, pour generous amount of olive oil, and put on top.
- Quickly pour good quality olive oil, spread some rosemary and sprinkle with sea salt & crushed black pepper
- Serve & enjoy immediately
So, if you are having some friends on a visit, this is a sure way to curve their appetite & entice them for the next delights to come!
Have a great Week End!
Pssst: Why not try this with some homemade Labneh? If you do; don’t forget to tag us on Facebook or Instagram #HungryinHelsinki we love to see what you are up to!