*A Sämpylä is a individual bread roll made out of a combinations of flours such as whole wheat, rye and a variety of seeds. If you don’t have this kind of flour where you live, don’t worry; simply combine a few other flour or different grains to your usual baking favorite and have fun with it!
“Pretty in Pink” Autumn Beetroot Sämpylä*
Yields 20 -24 individual buns
- 16 dl Sämpylä flour (can be 2 third regular / 1 third spelt, rye..)
- 3 dl oatmeal flakes
- 1 cube of fresh yeast (~50 grams)
- 1-2 flat teaspoon of fine salt
- 2-3 tbs dark syrup
- 1 large carrot grinded
- 1 large beetroot grinded
- 80 ml olive oil
- 4 dl water in room temperature
Optional: Add also 2-3 dl chopped walnuts to the dough.
- Mix flour, oatmeal, salt, carrot, and beetroot in a food processor until mixed.
- Mix half of the water with yeast and syrup and leave to rest for 10 min. Add the olive oil to the yeast mix and add the rest of the water.
- Pour water/yeast mix to the flour mix and mix in the blender for 6-7 min until it becomes a soft non sticky ball.
- Adjust with a bit of water or flour if the dough feels too wet/dry.
- Cover and let it rise for 30-40 min till it doubles the size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Make 20-24 flat balls on a trey covered with baking paper.
- With a sharp blade , gently create pattern cuts on top of the buns.
- Cover and let it rise for 25-30 min.
- Put in the oven and bake for about 15 min till slightly brown.
Once you take them out of the oven, leave them cool down on top of a metal net oven tray. They should be crispy, but if you want to make sure to have a crust, you can spray a bit water before putting them in the oven. Serve with a thick slice of brie or Camembert, or a luscious spread of strawberry jam. Feeling wild ? Combine it all and stare at the leaves falling or the storm raging. You are home, you are safe.