Today, as part of The Hieno! “What is Finnish-ness” series celebrating Suomi 100 in 2017, we at Hungry in Helsinki are proud to be featured to express our love of Finland & all things Finnish
To create a blog called “Hungry In Helsinki”, one must be simultaneously hungry and in love! This post is an extract from the interview with The Hieno.[Read the whole story here!] In anticipation for Finland’s 100 years of independence next year, we were asked to tell about our dreams and visions for Finland’s future. This is our answer:
“Dear Finland, for your 100th birthday we would like to wish you joy, happiness, prosperity. diversity and creativity! Do not fear; in country years, 100 is the age of reason, yet it is still young and energetic. You have your life ahead of you and we are proud of how elegantly you have grown from your rural childhood into a lovely urban young lady. Do not forget your roots and were you are coming from, but with it, remember to respect and value diversity and the many cultures that will inevitably cross your path as you gain wisdom and years. Each new person you let in will bring you a new spice or flavor to make you richer and even more beautiful. From the chili of oriental food, the rosemary of southern cuisine, the gingery scent of Asian world and more, you will be amazed at the many wonders that lie within if you allow them to surprise you. You are a unique and beautiful place, with a serenity and certainty that takes our breath away and we are proud to call you our adoptive country.”
Hungry In Helsinki’s Traditional Salmon Soup.
This simple yet, mandatory recipe is a perfect trial round for all who wish to understand a bit more about Finland! It is a perfect dish all year long, but really gets perfect just about now, when the cold days are closing in. It’s a classic recipe and every Finnish household has their take on it! Here is ours:
- 6 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 8 dl of water
- ½ teaspoon of whole peppercorns (about 10)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 200 grams of Salmon filet,
- 200 grams of white fish filet
- 2 dl of crème fraîche
- 1 cube of fish stock
- A handful of fresh dill
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- ~30g Butter for frying
- Wash, peel & cube the vegetables.
- Mince the onion and sauté briefly in butter in a deep pot
- Cover the vegetables with the water & add the fish stock. Add the spices & bay leaf, leave to simmer gently
- Clean the filet of fish remove bones & skin and cube
- Add the fish to the stock, then add the cream
- Cook until the fish is no longer translucent (about 5 minutes) & taste for saltiness
- Add the dill and serve immediately with warm rye bread & salted butter
This recipe can’t go wrong, simply use fresh ingredients, adjust seasoning to your preferences and enjoy!
This is only an extract, read the full interview here: [The Hieno! Suomi 100 Series] Are you a foodie? Interview with Galith and Ofer, the founders of Hungry in Helsinki! ♡ — THE HIENO!