Fennel is just this kind of vegetable that you either love or dislike.
I have tasted it in salads, soups etc… and then, recently, I was invited by my cousin for dinner and he served this dish as an appetizer.
So far, it has been my favourite fennel recipe.
I asked him for the recipe and made small changes to adjust it to my own personal taste.
So here it is for you.
- 4 whole fennels, cleaned & cut to halves
- 15 big garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 6 mint leaves chopped
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Thyme as an option
- Fry the flat side of the fennels with half the amount of the olive oil till golden brown.
- Add the garlic cloves.
- Turn the fennels to the other side, add the rest of the olive oil and fry till golden brown.
- Add the white wine, lemon zest, mint leaves and spices.
- Mix gently and cover.
- cook under low temperature till soft (about 50 min)
- Decorate with fennel leaves or thyme.
Have a happy world vegan day!