Here is the basic Shakshuka recipe that I grew up on.
There are so many versions of this dish so this one is not too spicy and has the traditional spices from my childhood.
This recipe needs around 45-60 min cooking time on a medium heat if you want the tomatoes to be soft and well cooked.
I used the Bosch 90cm Seria 8 Induction hob.
Frying pan by Fiskars.
- 8 -10 medium-size tomatoes, cut to quarters
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 long red chilli pepper, chopped
- 4 Tbs tomato purée
- 1dl water
- 1 -2 tsp red paprika
- 1 tps cumin
- A pinch of salt & black pepper
- 6 -8 eggs
- 100gr Feta cheese
- 1dl chopped parsley
- Oil for frying 0.5 -1dl
- Heat the oil in a 28 cm frying pan.
- Throw in the tomatoes, onion & garlic and fry on medium-high power.
- Add the chopped chilli peppers, stir & add a bit oil.
- Add spices & salt and cook for 15- 20 min.
- Stir once in a while and make sure it doesn’t stick or get too dry.
- Add the tomato purée & water.
- Add the eggs, one by one, making small holes in the tomato dressing. (watch the video link on top).
- Cook for another 15-20 min, till the eggs are cooked as you like
- Sprinkle the feta cheese on top, cook for another 5 min.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley and serve.
WATCH THE VIDEO AT:
Have a splendid weekend!