Watch the video at https://www.instagram.com/tv/B52HBYNBqzE/
Last Friday we celebrated the Finnish Independence day.
Independence day is always a good opportunity to prepare traditional dishes and one of the most traditional dishes that the accidental tourist in Helsinki will face, is the fried vendace (In Finnish, Muikku) with mashed potatoes.
I personally fell in love with it since the first time I ate it and still make it once in a while.
There are several ways to prepare them but this is my favourite.
The squeezed fresh lemon juice is a must for my opinion and gives a great kick to the mix of flavours in your mouth.
- 0.5-1kg Fresh vendace (depending on how many people you are)
- White pepper & salt
- Bread crumbs
- Olive oil and butter for frying
- Fresh lemon
- Mix white pepper & salt with the flour.
- place the vendace in the flour mix bowl/plate and cover them fully with the flour mix.
- In another bowl/deep plate, whisp 3-4 eggs and deep the floured fish in it.
- Move them to the bread crumbs plate and roll them in so they are all covered with bread crumbs.
- Heat olive oil & butter in a frying pan and when hot, place the fish and fry till golden brown from both sides.
- Put aside and squeeze fresh lemon on top just before eating.